Why call it “The Emptying Nest”?
While my husband and I are far from being official “empty nesters” we are not too far from the nest starting to empty (our oldest going off to college). And who knows…just because they leave doesn’t mean they’re not coming back!
As each of our kids become more and more independent (i.e. driving, working etc) and need us less and frankly, want to “hang out” with us a lot less, my husband and I look at each other and think, “What do we do now? What do we talk about now?” For so many years, our lives have revolved around our kids! And while we’re thrilled at our new found freedoms, it also comes with a bit of melancholy and mixed emotions at times.
Don’t get me wrong – I love the freedom of them being able to drive themselves places, not having to worry about babysitters etc. But new worries adn headaches just replace the old ones as they will I am sure for the rest of our parental lives!
So…we’re embracing the changes, going with the flow and hoping that we’ll continue to do a bang up job as parents because after all…someday, our kids will be likely choosing our nursing home!
What I am:
- A wife of 20 years to an insurance “stud” (he had me at “Hello…are you fully covered?”
- A mother of three teenagers (daughter 17, son 15, daughter 13) and three “she-she foo foo” dogs
- A freelance journalist and former humor columnist (hey…if you can’t laugh about it you’re in serious trouble!)
- A firm believer in a dose of Wellbutrin and an ice-cold beer can change your outlook on life and keep you from driving your car off the nearest cliff (see above bullet point)
- Team Jacob (Edward needs a: sense of humor, tan and a huge bowel movement because his constant pained/angst expression makes me feel like he needs to take a big crap but can’t)
- An avid reader with a penchant for the young adult genre (counting down for “The Hunger Games” movie release!)
- A wanna be photographer who is just now venturing out of full automatic mode which is probably why my pictures look like they were taken while heavily intoxicated)
- A junk food junkie – I’ve never met a chocolate dessert I didn’t like! I once went on an all Reeces Sticks diet one Halloween and lost five pounds! (But gained five zits)
- A reluctant exerciser. I dread it but I do it – kind of like cleaning toilets.
- Adventurous (as much as a 43-year-old woman can be!)
- A lover of anything that makes me laugh! Feel free to share!
What I am not:
- One who takes herself too seriously
- Organized – I prefer to think of myself as “free-spirited”
- A perfectionist – I don’t sweat the small stuff
- A strict disciplinarian – my husband prefers to call it “a pushover”
- Aggressive – I consider myself to be more passive…aggressive (or as my husband likes to say…being a sh#t at times!)